SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, August 7, 2020

THE BOOK EVERY YOUNG WOMAN NEEDS TO READ: 22

Twenty Two by Allison Trowbridge. The first line of the blurb reads 'Never in history has a young woman had so many options before her, yet never has she had less direction or guidance on what to do with them'. I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to career. 

Does anyone else feel like they have to be a CEO girl boss already? I feel like we are constantly told as young women that we have the luxury of being able to work and we should be aiming for the top positions. Add to that the people creating their own businesses who are constantly being presented in the media. Although I value these women and the opportunities greatly, it all feels a little bit too much. I have found myself overwhelmed with options and unsure of what do to. When I really think about what I want to do at this moment, I want to try different jobs working for others because I want and need to learn more. Yet what I have allowed myself to constantly see has made feel unsure about this. 

To give you a back story on me, I graduated in 2019 and finished a graduate internship this May. Since March I have been trying to figure out my next step, what my new job is and where I will live. At the moment none of my interviews or applications have granted me with a role, so I'm back in my home town. I'm being grateful for this time I have, the chance to focus on my direction and what I want to do but some days have been difficult. Although I want to be in the present moment I have caught myself stressing over not having a job and that leads to worry about the future, my calling, etc. Not wanting to let this fear consume me I decided to search for books to read  that would help me realine and that's when I came across 22. I felt like it was calling me as I'm 22 and as I turn 23 later this year, now is the time to read it. 

The book is formed of 22 letters that address the issues we come across as young women. From love, to fear, to dreams. These are written by Allison to 'Ash', a fictional character that reflects the majority young women in today's society. Although the book goes through Ash's university experience, from first year to graduation day, the lessons are still valuable to any woman. What Ash needs to hear in her first semester isn't always what you needed specifically at that time. Some of the lessons I have experienced others I know are yet to come.  

It isn't a list of 'How To's' but a story of a young person's journey in which you will find things that correlate to your own life and find key messages to take away. I think this is what makes the book so beautiful. It's the type of book you pick up when you need a bit of a pep talk, a little reminder from your friend. The mind is not an easy thing to control, we can let negative thoughts slip in from time to time but having these letters from a fellow female will help use reset and think positively again.

At this moment in time, being career focused, the letter titled 'On Vocation and Being' struck me. In this chapter Allison explains how she started in the anti-slavery movement. The author is currently a social entrepreneur who fights against human trafficking and modern-day slavery. As you will learn throughout the book she has achieved some incredible things with her work and has worked alongside royalty in aim to bring effective change. To me her role is amazing, to travel the world to help make the world a better place, so her insights into career are important to me. 

The main message I took away was 'sometimes in order to get somewhere, you start by just doing something'. For Allison she asked if anyone knew of internships within communications and it led her to working for a nonprofit organisation. When she started she didn't have it all figured out, she learnt as she went along. So that's what I've decided to do. I want to get into the field of communication and events so to start I've created this blog. I've joined communities and I keep actively searching and applying for jobs trying new methods along the way. Yes there is so much out their it can make your head hurt but doing one thing is better than none at all. 

There are more valuable lessons I learnt throughout the letters that related to my experience of career. Despite each letter having a key focus, their are just some messages you cannot ignore. For me it's trusting the process, not letting fear stop me and enjoying life it as it all unfolds. 

I could go on and on about each letter but it's now your turn to learn. You might pick up a different lesson to help your career woe or about something else entirely. So get your tea and biscuits ready to read this wonderful book. Oh and don't forget your highlighter- they'll definitely be a line or two you won't want to forget. You can buy the book today on Amazon

Until next time, 
M x 

4 comments :

  1. Fantastic review! Definitely adding to my 2021 TBR. I’m in my final year of my undergraduate degree and currently applying for grad schemes. I’m pretty nervous to start the real world but also excited. I feel like I definitely want to read this book

    Chelle | www.chellebelle2016.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you to read this Rochelle! Please let me know how it goes xx

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found it interesting xx

      Delete