SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, November 2, 2020

WHY YOU SHOULD READ MORE FICTION BOOKS

 

I have always loved reading but for most of this year I only engaged with the self-help genre. I lost the need to read fiction until the past week, when after finishing work, I felt the urge to buy something imaginary.

Having taken the time to finish a couple of novels, it reminded me just how important it is to read fiction books. I believe reading this material can help so many people in our modern technological world. This is why I have chosen to explore the reasons behind reading fiction for this week's blog.

You slow down 

In this digital era of smartphones we are constantly taking in information. Although this might seem like a positive, it does come with downsides. For me, I noticed how anxious and overwhelmed I felt from always being on my phone responding to new alerts. Engaging with a book allowed me to slow down the rate I received information. Reading is a slower method that watching, meaning you spend at least a couple of days with the characters in a book apose to a couple of hours or minutes with those you watch.  

You switch off

I don't know if it's just me but I struggle to concentrate on the stories presented on television. Unless it feels like an experience, say a trip to the cinema,  I find myself drifting away from the screen. With reading, as long as I enjoy the book, I am encapsulated. I think this is because reading requires attention of my whole body, not just my eyes. For this reason, I find reading fiction to be the best method for switching off from the day, allowing the mind to relax and recover. 

You have a break from the screen 

Digital devices surround most of us constantly. From the moment we switch off our phone alarm clocks to turning off the tv before bed. TV might have felt like a great way to use your downtime but I think this is becoming a thing of the past. For us in office work, spending 8 hours in front of a screen to then come home to watch a show can feel exhausting. This is where reading can come in. Just like a movie or show, a book can help transport you into another land, ensuring you de-stress from the day's activities- without hurting you eyes with more artificial light! 

You learn from characters

Books allow you to dive deep into the thoughts of a range of characters. Unlike TV, books can prove more detail and longer stories lines that ensures you understand a range of individuals. There is so much to learn from others, from how to handle situations to how life unfolds because of certain actions. To me this is the true beauty of reading fiction.

You learn about different times 

A lot of fiction books are set in key historical times. Although the stories are based on someone's imagination, the settings can paint a great picture for what life was like in another era. This helps you understand what your ancestors may have gone through and you learn to appreciate the life you have now. 

It creates a community 

Reading is a great way to join or build a community. There are local book clubs, including those online, where you can meet like-minded individuals to discuss what you have read. It helps you learn more from the material, challenge your ideas and make new friends.

These are the 6 key reasons for why I think people should read more fiction books. I really hope this blog can inspire someone out there to fall back in love with reading. If you have any book recommendations please leave then in a comment below.

Until next week,

Mx

7 comments :

  1. Reading is my favourite in the fall

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great reasons. I absolutely love reading books that I can get lost in. Its always my favourite time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to read more this month! You've made some excellent points. I think we all need a break from the chaos at times and I think it would be really fun to do a book club where you all read a book and go through it together.

    https://thesydneysider.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to read more this month! Thanks for adding your blog link- it looks lovely and I can't wait to catch up on your content.

      Delete
  4. Yes to all of these reasons - and I only read hard copy books as well because I spend all day online and prefer the comforting feel of a book at bedtime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, can't imagine reading on a device! x

      Delete
  5. I absolutely agree on everything you've said in this post! I tend to read during the day so it doesn't matter the format of the book. Audiobooks have really changed the amount I can read and always have one on the go. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete