SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, December 7, 2020

How to make Christmas 2020 special

Christmas 2020

I think it's pretty clear that Christmas this year is going to be a little different. Whatever tier you're in or part of the UK (or even the world) you live in, things have happened this year, which will inevitably impact your normal festive traditions. 

For me it's not actually Christmas Day that is impacted but the days that leads up to the 25th. My annual Christmas shopping trip with my mum and meal out with the girls have not been able to go ahead. It would be easy to get upset and declare this Christmas the worse, but I choose to see it differently. I see it as an opportunity to do something different, making this Christmas just as special as the last. 

You too can have this attitude, it's all about changing your perception. Don't get me wrong, this isn't easy, but I'm hoping this blog can help you in switching your mindset. I will first examine how I choose to view my personal situation and then provide you with a 10-minute task that will guarantee you have some festive fun! 

So how to I look at my situation? Let's examine my meal out with my friends.

First, I looked at my outlook on the pandemic. Even though it can feel like the current situation will be forever, I know deep down it won't be. How do I know this? Because nothing lasts forever. Look at how everything around you has cycles. The leaves in Summer do not stay on the trees as we transition into Autumn. Like the seasons, this period will come to an end and something else will take it's place. So why waste time now worrying about how 'ruined' Christmas is when you could have it back to normal next year? 

Having this attitude allowed me to take away negative emotions about not seeing my friends and put positive energy into focusing on alternative ways that we could celebrate. We have decided to do a Zoom party instead, with festive online games. I will miss seeing them in person but like the seasons there will come a time when I can see them again. So, for now, I choose to focus on being excited to try something new with them. 

Feeling negatively about Christmas this year is only affecting you. I promise if you choose to see it as a one off experience you can transform it into something special. So here is a task for you - you need your calendar, pen and piece of paper.

To begin, get your pen and paper and for 5-minutes write down all the Christmas activities you would want to do if time and current situations weren't an issue. Do include small things like making a wreath and bigger things like exploring the Christmas markets. Whatever comes to mind write it down.  

After 5-minutes stop and read over your list. Think about what you can reasonable do this year and what you can set a side for next year or the year after that. If you really took the time, you should have plenty of options of things to do this year, which makes setting aside some festivities a lot easier. 

The reason I think it is important to include all activities, including those you can't do this year, is because it helps you see how much you can do. Thus showing you don't have to do it all in 2020.  For example, you might what to see the Christmas markets in Berlin. You can't do this now but you can save up to go next year. So instead the time you would spend there this year can be replaced with the other things you wanted to do, like making your own Christmas cards.

Next, look at your calendar and see where you can fit in all the things you want to do and can do this year. Once you begin doing these activities, your body will start to fill with the jolly excitement Christmas brings and it will really begin to feel special. This is all because you are focusing on something positive whilst taking the time to enjoy the Christmas period. 

I really hope you enjoyed this week's blog and it helps you have a special Chirstmas this year. I would love to know how you Chirstmas is going to look this year, is it different? Please leave a comment below. 

Until next week,

M x

3 comments :

  1. I’m going to try this exercise out, I’ve been thinking way too much about the things I can’t do and need to start thinking more about the things I can do

    Alice x | thealicemayedit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I always like to have things to look forward to, even if it’s just planning to watch a Christmas film on a certain day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right that being negative is only affecting us. Thank you for your inspirational tips. Hoping we can all still find the joy in Christmas this season.

    ReplyDelete