SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, December 30, 2019

Yay or Nay: New Years Resolutions




The idea of making resolutions for the new year can set off different emotions for different people. I've seen some individuals get excited to begin a new chapter while others panic about having to get their life in order.



I believe setting resolutions is positive. In a way the new year forces you to reflect and decide where you'd like to take your life. Of course you can set goals whatever time of year but the start of January has been conditioned to make us think of what we want to aim for.

People's downfall in my opinion is wanting too much in such a short space of time. This leaves people year after year dreading new year resolutions because they know they won't stick to them. An example would be saying you'll get fit and by next December you'll be a brand new person. Although the aim is to be better in a year, when most people want to see change is actually much sooner. The change doesn't happen in 4 weeks, it takes months and needs consistency throughout your life to be maintained. For many not being perfectly healthy in 4 weeks makes them sad, they drop of the healthy train and promise the next year will be the one for them. I use this example because I was guilty of it, expecting too much and not understanding how to use my time effectively.



As this next year is marking a new decade I think it's the best time to set your goals and refresh yourself with setting resolutions. Why? Because you become less trapped into the idea that you need to accomplish so much in a year. Instead we think about how we have developed over the past 10 years and how we want to grow in the next 10.

When you think back to how you started 2010 to how you're ending 2019 it is shocking to see how much you have achieved. One of my biggest achievements was getting a degree, this took three years. Not all the best things happened in one of those years, it took gradual progress year after year to graduate. A fitness journey can be like this too. Perhaps your resolution for 2020 is to start working out more by going to a class once a week. Within a few years this could develop to incorporating different types of exercises into your routine. Result!

I was actually inspired to set yearly goals when I saw my boyfriends goal sheet a few years ago. He had 5 goals, all with a deadline of 2-3 years. I'd never seen time periods like it but it made complete sense. Of course getting to a certain weight would take a while. You need to find out what works for your body and you also don't know what life is going to through you within them 2 years. Having a longer time period also means you feel less pressure to be perfect from January 1st, which I think can actually keep you more motivated as you feel less restricted.

I'm starting this new decade at 22 and will be ending it at 32. I feel like this is going to be some of the most challenging and exciting years of my life. My first few goals are set, I've put them out into the universe and I'm excited to begin the 20's!

What do you think about resolutions? Do you set your own? I'd love to know!

Speak to you in the next decade,
M x






Post a Comment